Before anything else, let me ask: do you normally add soy sauce to your spaghetti sauce? Cause my grandma does and I don’t know why.
Okay, now that that’s out of the way, let me tell you about my take on Spaghetti and Meatballs. Since I’ve sworn off beef for life (crazy choice, I know), I’ve relied heavily on pork, chicken, or even plant-based options to fill the void. But because a lot of spaghetti dishes are made with beef or a mix of beef and pork, I figured that to be safe, it was best for me to just make my own with Veega Meat-free Meatballs and Marca Piña Grated Queso de Bola.
Veega is a plant-based “meat” that’s rich in fiber, and protein. And the beauty in Veega’s products is that they’re frozen, pre-cooked and already seasoned to taste like meat. That way, you can easily add it to your recipes or reheat them in the pan, oven, or air fryer.
Veega’s Meat-free Meatballs have a gummy, springy mouthfeel that remind me more of the texture of squid balls than ground meat. Plus, it’s soft and juicy. Taste-wise, it’s not too salty and pretty close to meat, without the greasiness that it normally comes with. And thankfully, it had no strange “carton-like” aftertaste that some alternatives come with.
Meat-free Spaghetti & Meatballs
- 1 pack of Veega Meat-Free Meatballs
- Pasta Noodles, cooked in preferred doneness
- 3 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 White Onion, minced
- 500g of Tomato Sauce
- 1 can of Button Mushrooms, minced
- 3 Tbsp of Sugar
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Marca Piña Grated Queso de Bola
- In a pot, heat your Cooking Oil over medium. Add Onions and Mushrooms then sauté til onions are transluscent.
- Pour in your Tomato Sauce, mix until combined, then season with Salt and Peppee. Add Sugar also (and Soy Sauce if your grandma say so).
- Carefully drop your Veega Meat-Free Meatballs and let the sauce simmer. When meatballs are soft, add your Noodles, then toss until fully coated, and plate. Garnish with Marca Piña Grated Queso de Bola and serve.
Veega is available in Shopee, Lazada, or in leading groceries and supermarkets nationwide. Thank you Sparkit PH for sending these Veega products!